Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default HELP PLEASE - What Loft Insulation

In message , Tim S
writes
Rick coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi,

Can any of the subscribers recommend me a good loft insulation for a
semi-detached two story family house please.

Either PIR board (eg celotex - if you have enough ventilation that it
doesn't cause condensation problems. Expensive but twice as efficient as
rockwool typically, thickness for thickness.

But unless you are in a location where the thickness matters, no real
benefit.

Or sheepswool - the green and un-foul alternative to rockwool. Similar
u-values, and last time I checked, similar prices. Not sold in the sheds
but easy to find local distributors via google.

When I looked last year it seemed to work out about twice the price,
given the 2 for one offers you can usually get at the mo in Wickes etc.

Though it is much nicer to install, and use a loft with wool insulation.

In the end I just applied for a grant via my gas supplier and let the
installers install stuff - plain old fibre glass with a bit of blown
Warmcel (the recycled paper stuff) in a hard to access bit.

At the moment I have some old rather scraggy fibreglass material I
need to replace.

Been looking at this, any advice would be much appreciated ???

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29949/...ation/Loft-Ins
ulation-600mm-x-7-5m;jsessionid=UHLMCMZUUUA1ICSTHZOCFFQ?ts=64242

That looks like "fad" to me. It may reflect radiant heat but what about
conduction? Doubt it will do any harm, but I'd combine it with a layer of
wool too.

Hmm, is my response as well.

I'd suggest investigating how much it would cost to get it installed
using one of the grant schemes from your fuel suppliers or local
Authority. Given the cost of the insulation, (plus tank jackets, pipe
insulation etc.) anyway, plus how horrible a job it can be the overall
cost was very competitive
--
Chris French