Posted to sci.electronics.repair
G B G B is offline

Default Sony SLV-N71 VCR Repair?

I'm wondering if your scratch-scratch sound is similar to my poping noise.
My noise occurs while the VCR is in a standby power state. It makes a
"pop-pop" noise in the TV speakers. Which I have assumed is the VCR power
supply shutting itself down, then re-powering itself up. I can actually
watch the motors rotate after the power appears to return from the short
shutdown. (I can see my clock display return at approx. the same time.)
Of course mine only happens when it is in the stand-by (off) power.. it
works fine when playing tapes. The pop-pop occurs about once every two or
three seconds... I'm working on a SVL-N750

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:01:53 -0600, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:09:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Clean the heads. Sounds like a head clog.

Cleaned the heads. Twice.

No help.

Most often the control-track head is a bit dirty. This is the lower gap on
the audio-control head. Seen it on this series often.

I've checked and cleaned it 3 times. It's clean as a whistle.

BTW this was considered a throwaway model. Sony never had parts or service
literature on the SLV-N series.

As I've discovered in recent days.

I've got the front and back off the unit. Inspected the bottom of the main
board. No burnt components, visably cracked solder joints, etc.

I'll keep looking, 'though I don't know what I'm looking for. :-(

Thx,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc