Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Craftsman Grinder/Sander model 351.22632 acquired

In November or December 2008 I bought a used Craftsman Grinder/Sander
model 351.22632 from a local used tool store for $60 or so. I just got
around to fixing it up.

It is a disk (8" diameter) plus belt (1" wide by 42" long) sander made
of cast iron and steel, with plastic used only for the belt guards, and
it weighs a ton. The whole thing was made in Taiwan in 1988.

The motor is 1/3 HP, made by Yung Li Hsing Electric Works, looks like a
GE motor, and has a real industrial-motor nameplate. No "developed HP"
nonsense here.

In the fixup department, all it needed was a new V-belt, and to have
everything properly adjusted and tightened. Everything was slightly
cockeyed.

The drive belt it came with appears to have been the original, and had
stretched from the original 38" to 39", and was visibly falling apart.
Replacing the belt required partial disassembly, which required the
usual set of wrenches, and so probably it never happened. Many
woodworkers do not have such tools. (The machine was used mostly for
wood, judging from the sawdust it came with. There was some metal stuck
in the 8" disk, and there had been a fire in the housing of the 1" belt,
so some metal was ground as well. Perhaps only once.)

I put a zirconium oxide (purple) belt (made by Sait) in it, and it
really moves metal.

I have not yet found a source for the 8" self-stick zirconium sandpaper
disks. A prior owner attached some ordinary sandpaper to the disk using
contact cement, so I assume he too was having problems finding the disks.

Joe Gwinn