Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Suggested Appliance Replacement Periods

Chris Hill wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:00:04 -0800, Sue Bilkens
wrote:

how about numbers for microwave ovens and vacuum cleaners. I find I am in a
constant battle against planned obsolescence with vacuum cleaners. Even my
really expensive "Shark" needs repair all the time.

My microwave was made in 1975, (harvest gold color) it is by todays standards
very slow and very sturdy. Just a dial and two buttons on the front so even a 4
year old can operate it. I wish it was faster but I don't replace it because I
know a newer model would not last as long.

I have a 10-year-old hoover self-propelled. It was never quite the
same after I changed the belt, but it keeps on getting it done. It
was a gift, I wouldn't have paid that much for one myself.

I replaced a 25-year-old microwave that I got from my parents just a
while back. It was a Panasonic, and I think I hurt it by running it
without food for a minute. I bought another Panasonic, this one has
true variable power settings. So far, I like it as much as the old
one, and it was a lot lighter to move.

I don't get breaking vaccuum cleaners. Our last one was about eight,
and the only thing that died was a spring clip thing that held up the
bag. Steel wire made a nice substitute.

Almost every 'broken' vacuum cleaner I ever had apart just needed to be
degunked and lubed and put back together. Some uprights have a real bad
design, and they get hairballs in places not immediately obvious by
pulling the bag out. I have smoked the motor on a couple vacs over the
years (one shop and one floor sweeper), but that was from sucking up the
wrong things. Most household vacs are designed as throw-aways these
days. Even my new baby ShopVac is all plastic- no leaving it out in shed
over the winter. Before my mother retired to a non-110v area and gave me
her upright, my previous vac was a 40+ year old fireplug style one with
a cloth bag. Still sucked fine, but all the fittings were falling apart,
and I was tired of blacksmithing and duct tape. I gave it away in a yard
sale.

My Samsung micro, that I have written about on here before, dates from
81 or 82, and still works fine. It isn't the primary any more, since the
one over the stove is more powerful, but it is sometimes nice to have 2.
(Hot soup and hot sandwich at the same time, etc.)

--
aem sends...