Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old flourascents lights.

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:
what it is, I like to wear print/horizontal/verticle lines (whatever
they are called?) shirts.What it used to be like back in the 1950s,
riding in a car underneath the Train overpass with those old timey
flourascent lights thingys, it was like my shirts would change color
on me.y'all old timers ever had similar experiences before? (I know
some of y'all have)

Cuhulin-

You may be referring to fluorescent lamps that emit a lot of ultraviolet
energy. Some materials light up when lit by ultraviolet light, which is
how the lamps work to begin with.

IMHO more likely not fluorescents that caused things to change colour in
the street, but discharge lamps of some sort - low pressure sodium, etc.
These produce a very narrow spike of light frequency wise which confuses
the 'eyes'. The snag with this is the perceived colour (of the item being
lit) changes by the individual, so what may appear to be an 'nice' change
to some may not to others.

Modern high pressure sodium lighting produces a broader spectrum of light
so doesn't exhibit this tendency so much.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.