Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default OT - "repairing" Windows XP installation

Dave Baker wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...
Dave Baker wrote:

Even if you don't care I still suggest you download Malwarebytes
AntiMalware and see what it comes up with.

Yeah, did that. Came up with a couple of odd registry entries, but nothing
more. I'll add it to all the other things that are constantly monitoring
my every move :-) Do you think Spybot and Adaware are worth keeping?

They're mainly going to find tracking cookies which aren't really a problem
and are going to be deleted if you use CCleaner daily anyway. I only have an
old 800mhz Pentium with 256mb ram so anything that takes up resources I
could be doing with for other things is a real pain so I only run
anti-malware programs when I know I have a problem. It would be nice to have
a decent anti-virus program running in the background all the time but they
slow things down too much for me. I just keep the browser settings as secure
as I can, run CCleaner frequently and keep an eye on the running processes
in Task Manager. If I get a virus so be it but I actually quite enjoy
pitting my wits against them and rooting them out manually rather than with
anti-malware programs. It invariably teaches you something new about pcs
each time at least. Just keep your important data backed up somewhere and
there's not much malware can do that's impossible to recover from. Even
keeping copies of your data on the same disk but a different partition like
the D drive helps because I've never come across a virus that infected
anything other than on the C partition. Usually they lurk in the
Windows\System32 directory so it helps to know what should and should not be
in there.

The other program I use every day is Ztree which is a Dos style file and
directory manager for decrepit individuals like me who grew up with pcs when
they first came out and can't get on with the newfangled Windoze way of
doing things. It lets me see what's on my disk more easily, sort files by
name, date, extension etc, search for them by partial name with templates
such as *xxx*.*, change file attributes or date stamps and edit text files.

Hmm. I refuse to allow the PC's inner workings to become a hobby. I've
seen what it does to people :-)