Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Suggested Appliance Replacement Periods

Sue Bilkens wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:19:15 -0600, in misc.consumers.frugal-living "HeyBub"
wrote:

You're an amateur.

"[UK] Frederick Stephens was among the first in Britain to buy [a microwave
oven] and 150,000 meals later, it is still going strong. "

He bought it 40 years ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...000-meals.html

a touch control nuke, doesnt look too 1960s

In the early 90s I saw a pre-67 nuke in someone's flat, forget the
brand but it looked like it came from the ark, and it continued
cooking until the door was something like 6" open.

Kewl.. mine is a 1975 Sharp Carousel and it wieghs much more then a modern
microwave. The door is so solid on mine that I find myself slamming the doors
on the newer models in the office. I just wish I could find an easy way to
replace the light bulb.

IIRC - and its been a while since I played with one of those - there
were 2 light arrangements in those, one type via a flap you could
easily uncsrew, and the other arrangement you had to take the whole
cover off to get to. And IIRC some (or both?) were 120v bulbs with
push-on tags on the bases. The best solution I found to the 120v bulbs
was to fit a SES bulbholder and use a standard 240v bulb, 25w or 40w.

NT