Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Refinishing dining room table? ? ?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I don't like poly for good furniture. I prefer varnish, oil-based, good
brush, several coats. Careful stirring (NO SHAKING) and a good brush
should give a good, smoothe finish. If you get bubbles or brush marks,
thin it a tad. Poly is great for table tops that get heavy use, but it
looks plastic to me. Three coats and you can slop KoolAid and PlaDoh all
over it without damage.

Poly is a type of varnish and most are oil based.

Most poly finishes do look like plastic, but you can rub them out to look as
good as any varnish you've ever seen.

Should I have said "resin based"........long time since I used poly
varnish, but I didn't like it.