Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Refinishing dining room table? ? ?

Many thanks -- great help.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:56:22 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

We have a rather nice mahogany dining room table that is beginning to need
refinishing after 30 years of reasonably careful use.

I'm thinkng of doing this job myself. I have a hand sander.

A few questions:

1. Do I need to remove the old high-gloss varnish before saning?

No.

2. Is sanding likely to significantly change the color of the wood?

Is this a trick question? The inside color of the wood will remain
the same color.

3. If it does, can I get a stain that will restore it?

No. When you sand, you are removing the patina of the wood that can
not be restored with ordinary stain. Not an issue if your piece is
not a highly appraised antique.

4. After staining, should I apply several coats of high gloss
polyurethane?

That's your call. Poly protects well, but gloss may give the
furniture a very "plastic" appearance. If you go this route, make
sure your table is absolutely flat, without defects, and inspected
with a low-angle light.

5. How do I prevent, bubbles, which I've gotten in the past when I used
polyurethant?

Carefully follow the instructions on the can. Use the recommended
brush or applicator.

Any guidance appreciated.