Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Using green/yellow as switched live

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:32:09 UTC, Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:01:24 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:13:52 UTC, Ed Sirett
wrote:

This bad practice is very very common. (50% of all installations?)
Given that the boiler has provision for more than one cable entry the
installer could have used a second flex to provide the extra signal.

Why should the good guys carry multi-core control cable around to do a
proper job when this guy thinks he can bend the rules. It's not as if
he had to do significant extra work to get it right.

When we had our boiler replaced a while ago, I took the opportunity to
fix the rather bad electrics that were there before. By the time the guy
arrived to fit, I'd already downloaded and read the manual, and started
on the new permanent cabling.

The difficult bit was getting cable with the right rating and number of
cores. In the end I went to the local plumbers merchant, and even they
struggled. In the end they found me a 'reel end' and I got it for a
pound!

Both screwfix and tollstation do suitable flex.

Screwfix was a possibility...but the fact that I couldn't get it very
locally perhaps explains why the job is often bodged..

http://www.diybanter.com