Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water heater issue

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:16:08 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

Renter here in a 1960's home. (I'm the one with loose electric outlets.)

I have my gas hot water heater set on the arrow which I assume is average
hot. When I shower, I don't turn on any cold water. In other words, just the
hot water on is ok for a shower. If I'm feeling like a real hot shower, I'd
have to decide the night before and turn up the water heater.

Is this normal? Do you think this could be due to sediment? I don't think
the heater is older than 10 years but it's not a real efficient one. It's in
my heated basement and I put a "blanket" on it a month ago, hopefully to
save a bit of money.

Should I just turn it up to "A", "B" or "C"...which I assume is hotter since
it's up the dial. I don't want to waste money.

Thanks,
bonnie

Not normal. If the water was hot last month, and not hot anymore, I'd
suspect sediment or possibly end-of-service is near. If you have not
flushed the tank in 24 months, doing so may help. A blanket should
not restrict air intake on a gas heater. The flames should look clear
or blue.

FWIW, back in my OSU college days the university decided to lower the
hot water temperature for energy conservation. Shortly after there
was an outbreak of bacteria that made many students sick. Your hot
water should, at minimum, be 120 degrees F coming out of the tap (when
the tank is not in "recovery" mode). Cooler than that, there is a
high risk of bacteria growth. If hotter than 125, you might be able
to save some money.