Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean vent for dryer

"Znott" wrote in message
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

*I bought myself a dryer cleaning brush kit online, but I have since seen
them at Lowes. I attach the wands to a drill and push it down the exhaust
end while the dryer is on no heat and with no clothes inside. As I push and
pull out the brush lint comes spewing out. They have a bag to attach to
catch the lint as an extra accessory. I push the brush down until it gets
to the flex then I go and pull out the dryer and clean the flex duct and the
inside of the dryer. I also have a brush to push down the lint trap and
that usually brings out some balls of lint.

I do this once a year because I have found that the drying time is greatly
reduced after I clean the duct which leads to considerable energy savings.