Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default hot water heater issue

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
Renter here in a 1960's home. (I'm the one with loose electric outlets.)

I have my gas hot water heater set on the arrow which I assume is average
hot. When I shower, I don't turn on any cold water. In other words, just
the hot water on is ok for a shower. If I'm feeling like a real hot
shower, I'd have to decide the night before and turn up the water heater.

Is this normal? Do you think this could be due to sediment? I don't think
the heater is older than 10 years but it's not a real efficient one. It's
in my heated basement and I put a "blanket" on it a month ago, hopefully
to save a bit of money.

Should I just turn it up to "A", "B" or "C"...which I assume is hotter
since it's up the dial. I don't want to waste money.

Thanks,
bonnie

What you're doing is fine. Heaters today are typically set for 125 degrees,
probably for liability reasons. If this is OK for your normal use, leave it
alone, and do just what you have been doing. Do not turn off the heater
unless you plan to be away for a while, or re-heating the tank will wind up
costing more.