Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default TV service query ? ? ?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:29:25 -0600, "Jim2009"
wrote:

"Gary H" wrote in message
.. .
[snip]

Yeah I asked him why am I bothering to buy this? When I could just get
it for FREE????

He remarked EVERY neighborhood has some open connections.....

My parents had 3 Open routers near them months ago. I'm guessing Cox
caming
sniffing and sent them a letter. Now all 3 are password protected, but 2
of
the 3 used the name of their router for the passkey. LOL.

Cheers,
Jim

When I first set up wireless there were three open networks around
here, and all were named "linksys".

That is the default router name used by linksys.

And THAT is the reason I consider it the worst choice.

If you have a linksys
also open your internet browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the url, this will
enter the routers config settings and you can change your router name.

You can change the routers name, but that is distinct from the
wireless network name (SSID).

I forget who made it, but there was a post on another group about
someone who unknowingly configured and used someone else's router
because of this. This sort of thing is one reason your initial setup
of a router should be done with a (faster, more secure, more reliable,
etc...) WIRED connection.

If you are not using wireless, it should be DISABLED instead.

You
can also turn off broadcasting with most routers so your not showing up on
everyone else's list.

Yes, although this should always be IN ADDITION TO setting up WPA-AES
security with a good password.

Cheers,
Jim

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."