Posted to rec.woodworking
surplusdealdude surplusdealdude is offline

Default zero clearance insert

On Jan 23, 9:20*am, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Jeff Gorman" wrote in message

"PHT" wrote

Got some insert blanks for the new table saw. They are made out of UHMW.
I have a WWII blade and I'm wondering how much running the blade through
this UHMW will it dull the blade.
Don't want to do it if it means the blade will have to be sharpened
sooner. I just got this blade a couple of weeks ago.

On these pages some years ago, I read an account from somebody who
intended to make a zero clearance inset by feeding the running saw upwards
into the plate.

He crouched down to watch what was happening, his face directly in line
with the blade.

As the blade bit into the plate it was ejected into his face.

Worth knowing about? Presumably this was a loose-fitting plate or he had
not troubled to fix it down.

Well. Duh! Clamp the fence a small, non-zero distance away to hold it down.