Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default OT - "repairing" Windows XP installation

Dave Baker wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...

Just don't rely on system restore. Mine goes through the motions then,
after reboot, it says it wasn't possible, try another date. Same thing
whatever date I choose. Turned the bugger off. I don't know (or care) what
the problem is BTW

System Restore works extremely well and reliably so if yours isn't then
either you have malware which is crippling it or a serious windows
installation problem. System Restore is a good way of getting rid of malware
so it's becoming more common for viruses and trojans to disable it first as
part of their procedures.

[snip]

I like the way in which you declare that XP is a fine robust OS and that
all problems are hardware glitches. Then you go on (and on) for long
paragraphs discussing problems that are solely software issues and the
fact that the Windows security model sucks donkey dick.