Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default OT - "repairing" Windows XP installation

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...

Just don't rely on system restore. Mine goes through the motions then,
after reboot, it says it wasn't possible, try another date. Same thing
whatever date I choose. Turned the bugger off. I don't know (or care) what
the problem is BTW

System Restore works extremely well and reliably so if yours isn't then
either you have malware which is crippling it or a serious windows
installation problem. System Restore is a good way of getting rid of malware
so it's becoming more common for viruses and trojans to disable it first as
part of their procedures. Even if you don't care I still suggest you
download Malwarebytes AntiMalware and see what it comes up with. There are
some really unpleasant malwares going about at the moment like Vundo which
can be very difficult to remove unless you're seriously au fait with what
goes on under the hood on your pc. I keep a fairly close eye on my pc
security and what's going on under the hood but I've still got landed with
two real stinkers in the last couple of weeks which had me struggling to
shift them for a while despite me being very experienced at that type of
thing.

Hackers have found ways to make their virus files almost impossible to
delete either in Normal mode or Safe mode by linking them into other
processes which tell you the file is in use and so can't be deleted. You
have to do it from a boot CD or the Recovery Console or by putting the disk
into another machine as the D drive. You still have to know enough to find
them in the first place though so you know what to delete.

Also keep an eye on any other unusual behaviour such as Google searches
taking you to sites other than the ones you were expecting.
--
Dave Baker