Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default OT - "repairing" Windows XP installation

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Was just wondering... my PC is running increasingly badly and crashing
more often, to the extent that I reckon I need to reformat the HD and do
a clean re-install of XP, which no doubt will cure the problem.

Have you tried CCleaner?

However, as a no-risk option I thought it might first be worth trying to
'repair' the existing installation, which is one of the options on my XP
bootable CD.

How would that work, given that my XP disks are (IIRC) SP1, and I'm
currently running SP3? Does that matter or will I screw everything up
if I try?

XP has a system restore facility. It works on dates - so if you remember
when you installed service pack 3 you could try going back to before that.
It gave me all sorts of problems here so that's what I did.

But don't take my way as gospel. PCs are a bit of a black art here. ;-)

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sorry:

http://pcpitstop.com/