Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arthur53 Arthur53 is offline

Default OT - "repairing" Windows XP installation

"Lobster" wrote in message
Was just wondering... my PC is running increasingly badly and crashing
more often, to the extent that I reckon I need to reformat the HD and do a
clean re-install of XP, which no doubt will cure the problem.

However, as a no-risk option I thought it might first be worth trying to
'repair' the existing installation, which is one of the options on my XP
bootable CD.

How would that work, given that my XP disks are (IIRC) SP1, and I'm
currently running SP3? Does that matter or will I screw everything up if
I try?

You could try the System Restore if you have it running.
I had some kind of virus/trojan eating up my chip last week.
I used SR to restore the system to its condition of a week earlier.
No problems now!

Arthur