Posted to uk.d-i-y
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default OT - "repairing" Windows XP installation

"Lobster" wrote

Was just wondering... my PC is running increasingly badly and crashing
more often, to the extent that I reckon I need to reformat the HD and do a
clean re-install of XP, which no doubt will cure the problem.

Have you tried running hardware diagnostics first?
Slo-o-o-w running I have found is often due to clutter, but crashing can be
memory failure etc.
Did you get a diagnostic CD with your PC?
I would consider at the least running a memory check as issues here can
regularly result in frequent crashes.
Should be able to download free memory test - sorry don't have link to hand

Phil