Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default high electric bills (gas heat)

wrote in message
On Jan 23, 9:22?pm, wrote:
I am just curious for opinions. ?Looking at my electric bill, it has a
peak in the summer months (presumably because of A/C), but an even
bigger peak in the winter and that's with gas heat. ?Any idea why that
would be? ?It's about 200kWh higher in January than it was in August,
which baffles me. ?I can't think of anything I'm doing now that I
wasn't doing a year ago, but it's about 100kWh higher than January
2008. Thanks!

its been much colder here in pennsylvania.... burr.

so the furnace runs more using electric, were home more, after being
out all day in snow and cold who wants to go places?

all of this uses more electric.

Plus if you bought a new TV like a LCD flat panel they use far more
power

My January bill is always the highest aside from the AC months. Shorter
days mean longer nights and more lights burning. Each month will drop
slightly until it gets hot and we start using cooling. August is usually
the highest use of the year.

If the OP used a space heater or had a huge Christmas light display, that
would suck some juice too. Check the dryer vent too.