Charles Krug

Default How wide an apron for a 52" long table?

Wreckers:

I'm gonna try and make SWMBO a coffee table for Christmas, though I'm
keeping it hush-hush just in case I don't have it ready until her
birthday next May . . .

I'm working out the design particulars now.

I'm planning for the apron to be 2 1/2" deep.

Top is 52 x 21, and will overhang the apron 3" on four sides. This
matches the particle board table it replaces.

Finished table top will be 14" tall. Too tall for a coffee table?

Legs will be 1 1/2" square at the top, tapering slightly to the bottom.
Might make the bottoms triangular, depending. I know WHAT I'd like to
see, but there's a question of my ability to make four that match.

Apron will be M&T into the legs. I'm planning 1/4" mortices. Apron
will be made of 1" nominal stock.

Anyway, I've three structural questions:

First, is a 2 1/2" apron deep enough to support a table that's this
long?

Second, is a 1/4" mortise going to be strong enough in this application.

Finally, how deep to I mortise?

Assume an energetic child will be regularly attacking the piece.

I'm not planning anything ornate that would be easily devoured by the
3yo. Yes, he DOES eat furniture. It's his primary source of dietary
fibre.

Thanks.

Charles