Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Suggested Appliance Replacement Periods

On Jan 23, 11:56*am, " wrote:
On Jan 23, 12:23*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

FYI...

In reference to the suggested times

*Air conditioners: 8 to 15 years
*Dishwashers: 5 to 12 years
*Disposals: 5 to 12 years
*Dryers: 8 to 12 years
*Freezers: 15 to 20 years
*Furnaces: 8 to 12 years
*Heat pumps: 8 to 12 years
*Refrigerators: 15 to 20 years
*Stoves: 15 to 20 years
*Washers: 8 to 12 years
*Water heaters: 8 to 12 years

I find my own experience with the most current appliances has been...

*Air conditioners: 15 years
*Dishwashers: 21 years
*Disposals: 31 years
*Dryers: 23 years
*Freezers: *23 years
*Furnaces: *15 years
*Heat pumps: N/A
*Refrigerators: *23 years
*Stoves: 31 years
*Washers: 23 years
*Water heaters: 31 years

As you can see, many of my appliances have lasted beyond the suggested
replacement periods before needing replacement.

Two comments on this article.

First is when you can save substantial money with improved efficiency,
I think it is a good idea to replace the appliance. Refrigerators,
freezers, dryers, furnaces and air conditioners fall under this
heading. These are appliances that run for a long period of time and
use considerable amount of energy.

Second when you buy an appliance buy one as generic as possible. The
more fashion conscious it is, the sooner it will be out of style and
become an eyesore. There is a reason why white is the most popular
color of appliances.

Third is always consider these types of articles with a grain of salt.
With the housing market and the economy in free fall, appliance
manufacturers are desperate to get the consumer to buy their wares.
Many industry trade groups will commission a writer to produce
articles to motivate consumers under the guise of saving money to buy
their wares. (If you look you will find the car companies are doing
the same thing.) Before doing any purchase, do the cost analysis to
determine whether there will be a true saving.

Comments?

TMT

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Consu...3789039&page=1

Creative Consumer: Time to Fix or Trash Your Appliances?
Elisabeth Leamy's Tips About What to Do With Your Aging Appliances
By ELISABETH LEAMY
ABC NEWS Consumer Correspondent
Oct. 29 2007 —

I got some new appliances for my kitchen this week. Woo hoo! When we
bought our house a couple of years ago, one of the less-than-appealing
aspects was the collection of 1980s-era kitchen appliances. They were
ugly and didn't work well either. But the darn things just would not
fail altogether. So I kept wondering, should I take them to the repair
shop or the junkyard?

I finally got my act together to research a reputable appliance repair
firm, and when I told the company my address, I got lucky. Turns out
the previous owner had also used this company and I was able to find
out that they had worked on the oven multiple times. That was all the
excuse I needed. And then I needed a dishwasher and microwave to
match, right?

Whether to fix it or trash it is a tough call. The first step is to
check your warranty. Many household appliances have long-term
manufacturer's warranties. Next, get an estimate. If the repair cost
is 50 percent or more of the price of replacement, you should scrap
it.

If the repair cost is 50 percent or less, ask yourself some questions.
What kind of shape is the appliance in? If it's already been fixed
several times like my oven, it may not be worth another overhaul. Do
newer models offer vastly improved features? For example, new
refrigerators use less energy than old ones. You may be able to recoup
part of the cost of replacement that way.

Consider whether the appliance is unique. If it fits into an odd space
or it's an unusual color, it may be too expensive and difficult to
replace. Finally, figure out how old the appliance is. Over the years,
experts have figured out the average life of most household
appliances.

*Air conditioners: 8 to 15 years

*Dishwashers: 5 to 12 years

*Disposals: 5 to 12 years

*Dryers: 8 to 12 years

*Freezers: 15 to 20 years

*Furnaces: 8 to 12 years

*Heat pumps: 8 to 12 years

*Refrigerators: 15 to 20 years

*Stoves: 15 to 20 years

*Washers: 8 to 12 years

*Water heaters: 8 to 12 years

Don't just open up the phone book and get an estimate from the company
with the biggest ad. Ask friends and family for referrals and check
out the companies with the better business bureau and your county or
state consumer protection office. Keep in mind, in some states,
appliance repair companies have to be licensed. If you don't have a
solid referral, plan on getting more than one repair estimate on
expensive appliances.

When you call for an appointment, be ready with the make and model
number of the appliance. That way you can make sure the company
services that brand and that the technician is prepared to bring the
proper tools. Ask whether the company charges for estimates. Most
companies waive that fee if you go ahead with the repair work. Find
out the charge for the first half hour of work and see if there's a
minimum repair charge.

When the technician comes to your home, ask for a written estimate.
That estimate should list all parts needed, plus labor charges. Some
states require the technician to get your permission if the price is
going to rise more than 10 percent above the written estimate. Find
out if the company offers a warranty and get it in writing. Typically,
repair companies guarantee their labor for 30 days, parts for 90
days.

Once you choose a repair company, alert the technician up front that
you are going to want your old parts back. This is a good test to make
sure the technician really does replace those parts. Keep in mind, the
technician cannot give you your old parts if they contain hazardous
materials or if the manufacturer requires their return in exchange for
warranty service.

Don't pay big bucks up front. Established companies should not ask you
for any money at the beginning of the job. Certainly don't pay more
than ten or twenty percent. When the job is complete, pay by check or
credit card. It's hard to fight the charges if you pay cash. If the
company has misdiagnosed your machine, it should send a technician
back at no charge. However, if the new repair requires different
parts, you may get some money back or owe some more.

If you take small appliances or electronics to a repair store, get a
claim check before you leave your belongings behind. And pick your
items up in a timely manner to avoid storage fees.

Beware of situations where appliance repair companies approach you. An
air conditioning company called William B. and offered to tune up his
AC unit for $34.95. Once the technicians got in the door, they claimed
William's air conditioner needed much more than a tune-up. They
persuaded him to pay $259 for all sorts of services he probably didn't
need at all. Unfortunately, upselling like this is common.

Be the hunter, not the hunted. Don't do business with companies that
come to you out of the blue. Beware of companies that call and claim
to be subsidiaries or affiliates of the company you usually use. And
don't panic if one of these companies tells you your appliance is a
hazard. That's an age-old ploy. Stop using the appliance and get a
second opinion.

To Be a Savvy Consumer
*Figure out if the appliance is under warranty. If so, contact an
authorized repair facility and the fix should be free.

*Check out appliance repair companies with the BBB and your state and
county consumer protection agencies. Also check to see if they are
properly licensed, if applicable.

*Get an itemized written estimate and a written warranty.

*Apply the 50 percent test to decide whether to repair or replace the
appliance.

*Don't do business with appliance repair companies that contact you
until you check them out.

Where to Complain
If you have difficulty with an appliance repair company, contact your
county and state consumer protection offices plus the Better Business
Bureau. If the company must be licensed, complain to the state agency
that licensed that industry.

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

What is the source for the appliance life spans?- Hide quoted text -

Good question...I do not know.

That is why I included the link to the article for anyone who wanted
to follow up on the sources.

TMT