Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default loose electrical oulets

On Jan 23, 12:17*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 23, 6:17*am, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

I moved to a new place a couple months ago (a rental). Whenever I try to
plug something in the wall, the plug is loose and I have to bend the prongs
to keep it in or it'll fall out.

Is there a better fix for this or just something I'll have to live
with...bending the prongs on all my cords.

Thanks,
bonnie

While everyone is correct about loose outlets being a hazard, I have a
question:

You said: "Whenever I try to plug something in the wall..."

Is it a specific "something" that is loose in multiple outlets or is
everything loose in one or more outlets?

If everything is loose in one or more outlets, then the outlet(s) is
probably at fault as many other have said.

However, if it's a specific something that is loose in all outlets,
then it could be the plug itself.

I have a Dremel tool that is loose in any outlet or extension cord it
is plugged into. It's been that way since it was new. It's a real
pain.

Some older plugs have prongs that are folded over on themselves. For
these you can stick a screwdriver into the seam and spread them apart.
I'm probably dating myself with that suggestion!

Probably just worn outlets. Or loose wiring on back of worn/cheap
outlets.

Landlord responsibility: Also probably covered by local ordinances
'That premises shall be safe and wiring in accordance with local
codes'. Not work the tenant should do or have done!

Since it's rented premises better not to do the work yourself and
perhaps be held responsible for a future problem or even for a problem
with an outlet you did not even touch!

However it is a significant hazard especially if anything 'heavy' such
as an electric kettle or heater is plugged in. While it may just be a
nuisance when something 'light' such as a shaver is used and it is
intermittent.

BUT IT IS NOT SAFE.

Make sure you also have smoke alarm/s and unplug anything at night
from any dubious outlet. If necessary 'move'!

However if in the interests of safety and otherwise you do replace
anything yourself/yourselves; do it carefully and knowledgeably making
sure you know, or the person helping knows what they are doing. Make
sure all the connections are tight. A loose connection is as bad, or
worse, because it is hidden, as a loose plug!

A good handy person ................... not someone who once replaced
a Christmas tree bulb for his mother, doesn't even own a screwdriver
and has to borrow a pair of pliers and 'thinks' they know what they
are doing!

"Can't be that hard!" etc.???? And it isn't if you know what is what.

But you wouldn't hand an Formula One race car to someone learning to
drive, would you? Or allow someone who once flew in a light plane, to
pilot a 747!!!

If landlord won't fix them; you can do it yourself but do not ever
acknowledge that you have done so. Throw all the wrappings for any new
material away quickly and never admit to touching anything. "That's
the way they were when I moved in!".

In back of each outlet there should be three or six wires. Typically
two black, two white and two bare copper. One set of wires is bringing
in the electricity and the other set taking it to the next outlet on
that circuit. The last outlet on each run should have one of each
wire. Black/white/ground.

The blacks are the live wires (so remove the fuse or turn off the
circuit breaker first) these blacks connect to the side of the outlet
that usually has brass or copper coloured screws (Narrow pin). One or
two white wires connect to the bright shiny screws of the outlet,
(Wide pin).

The ground wire or wires are usually bare and is either connected to
the metal wall box, if it is leave it there, or connect to a green
coloured screw on the outlet itself. Connect up exactly the same. The
ground wire like the others is extended from box to box for safety.

Note: since the electric wires go from one outlet to another for all
the outlets on that particular circuit, make sure, first, all outlets
are working. No point chasing another wiring fault perhaps inside the
walls, that is nothing to do with loose outlets.

Then after replacing each outlet, test, to make sure that any outlets
further along are still working OK.