Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Generators and electronics

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 1/22/2009 1:48 PM RBM spake thus:

"DS" wrote in message

I'm told it is not wise to operator sensitivre electronics such as big
TV sets and computers on generator power. In fact I'm pretty sure
thats hiow I blew a DVD/VHS unit last year. And the digital read out
on the refrigerator has lost part of its alphanumerics.
My question...what is and is not safe to run?.
Will a surge protector ahead of the device in question prevent a
problem?.
I actually ran a small TV without a problem but not for very long.
Would appreciate a reply from some electrical guru.

The electricity from cheap generators isn't very stable. For sensitive
electronics, I would buffer it through some type of UPS device

Not stable how? Voltage fluctuations? Frequency fluctuations? Noise?
Spikes?

I have said it before and I will say it again. A "generator" is two items,
and engine and the electrical generator. Usually a manufacturer may make one
part and buy the other to assemble the unit, sometimes they buy both. It is
usually easy to identify the make, model and type of engine to check out its
quality and approximate usefulness. Many times it is impossible to identify
the make, model and quality of the electrical alternator used to generate
the electricity. It is the quality of this part that determines the quality
of the electricity made. Many create electricity with bad sine waves, with
voltage spikes, brush noises and other problems that can destroy some
electronics. Quality generators will have both good engines and good
generators, sometimes the generators will be a branded model such as the
Stamford-Newage. Cheap generators do not have any quality parts and do not
usually produce quality electricity.