Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default loose electrical oulets

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:26:29 -0500, John Grabowski wrote:

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
I moved to a new place a couple months ago (a rental). Whenever I try to
plug something in the wall, the plug is loose and I have to bend the prongs
to keep it in or it'll fall out.

Is there a better fix for this or just something I'll have to live
with...bending the prongs on all my cords.

*The receptacles need to be replaced. With a loose connection like that and
a significant continuous load such as a heater plugged in, the receptacle
and the plug will get very hot. Under the right conditions a fire could
start. I'd discuss it with the landlord. He/she may be the type who will
fix it right away or he/she may think it is not worth spending the money.

keep in mind that it costs less than a buck to replace an outlet.

Even the cost of an electrician won't be too bad if a pile of outlets are
replaced. Total cost would probably rise to about $10/outlet.

If you can tell the difference between black and white wires, can strip them,
handler a screwdriver and find the right breaker so the job isn't done live then
it isn't a terribly difficult doityourself job. Figure 50 cents/outlet, and 5
minutes/outlet.