Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Legacy Ornamental Mill and 80/20 Systems

BrianSiano wrote:

The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)-- especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

There's at least one good reason. One of the desirable characteristics
for such a device is rigidity - and the designs I've seen that use the
80/20 extrusions have all had the common characteristic of "floppyness".

My next door neighbor has a CNC plasma cutter built of the stuff and,
although fun to watch, it's a wobbly disaster.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar