Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD Mains socket outlets Active vs Passive

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On 23 Jan 2009 11:46:03 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

My outdoor socket circuit is run from a 10mA RCBO in the consumer unit,
and has never false tripped.

Surprised you can get the thing to reset if there is a decent extension
cable on the circuit. I have a plug in 10mA RCD, it's 50:50 if it will
stay in if you try to reset with it still connected to the supply. It's a
PITA so don't use it, thus can't remember if it will latch without a
supply. I think not otherwise it wouldn't be such a PITA...

I would say that there's either something wrong with your
RCD or with the extension lead.

My outdoor circuit has a few metres of singles in conduit indoors,
either 15m or 25m (can't recall now) of SWA outdoors, a couple of
sockets, and when I'm using the hedge trimmer, its own 5m lead plus
an 18m extension lead, all of which is 3-core. No problems with that.
I have tested the 10mA RCD and it trips at 10mA but not at 5mA (not
actually tested where between 5mA and 10mA it trips).
It's a TT circuit (own earth rod, not the house earthing), although
that shouldn't make any difference.

--
Andrew Gabriel