Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New boiler - what to buy?

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
It's not bad value when you consider the job is done in an hour,
whatever the fault, and in my case a couple of extra parts were replaced
as a precaution. As the boiler's now 5 years old I decided to go for an
annual insurance which, given the price of parts, seemed like a good
deal. I don't trust manufacturers of cars, boilers, and printers when it
comes to built-in obsolescence. I'm sure they don't program the chips
to fail, but it certainly seems that way sometimes.

It's pretty rare for 'chips' to fail - unless another fault causes then to
be abused. Most likely 'PCB' failures are poor soldering, connector
troubles and maybe capacitor failure. Pretty well all of these caused by
penny pinching in design/manufacture. Think Geoff also mentioned relay
failure. These do have a known life - and most with some sense would use
plug in types for easy servicing if not willing to specify high quality
ones.

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.