Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default RCD Mains socket outlets Active vs Passive

Distorted Vision wrote:

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between RCS mains
sockets with active control circuits and those which are passive?

"active" means it has a "No Volt Release" (NVR) facility that will
result in the RCD opening on power loss, and then needing a manual reset
when power is restored.

I was looking at this MK one for our garage:

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...0&rangeid=1030

It has a 30mA rated tripping current. There is also a 10mA version. I
am right in guessing that the 10mA one is better because it is more
sensitive to any residual current?

30mA will usually offer adequate protection - certainly for in the garage.

--
Cheers,

John.