Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Using green/yellow as switched live

On Jan 23, 10:02*am, fred wrote:
In article , PeterC
writes

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:36:40 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

wrote:

My plumbers sparky has installed my heating system, but has used the
green/yellow wire in one cable as a switched live.

BS7671:2008 Regulation 514.4.2

"The bi-colour combination green-and-yellow shall be used exclusively
for identification of a protective conductor and this combination shall
not be used for any other purpose."

That refers only to the colour, so if the wire is sleeved red or brown it
should be OK - until someone breaks in to it elsewhere!
I prefer red for switched Live as it identifies it.

You are right to say that only refers to the colour but sleeving in
another colour does not make it ok. There is a separate requirement that
current carrying conductors require basic insulation on the conductor
and supplementary insulation (the sheath). Using a bare protective
conductor as a switched live (or neutral) will breach this.

What relevance does that have to the OPs question? The clue is there
if youread it properly.

MBQ