Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default RCD Mains socket outlets Active vs Passive

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:48:42 -0800 (PST), Distorted Vision wrote:

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between RCS mains
sockets with active control circuits and those which are passive?

I was looking at this MK one for our garage:

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...0&rangeid=1030

It has a 30mA rated tripping current. There is also a 10mA version. I
am right in guessing that the 10mA one is better because it is more
sensitive to any residual current?

Many thanks for your help.

For outdoor use (and indeed in most domestic circumstances) 10mA will be a
nuisance; it's used in hospitals for obvious reasons.
My 30mA on the main board trips at 25mA but not at 20mA and hasn't suffered
from over-sensitivity, but 10mA in the garden probably would.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.