Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Wiremold: a review

on 1/22/2009 3:29 PM (ET) David Nebenzahl wrote the following:
Just finished a small job using Wiremold and thought I'd share my
experiences with it.

The last time I used the stuff was a long time ago. I was asked to add
a couple of outlets in a bedroom in an old house that had only one.
Seemed simple enough.

Installation was easy, sort of. But even in such a relatively simple
job there are pitfalls. The main culprit here was the instructions on
using the stuff, or the lack thereof. What was especially unclear was
what parts were supposed to go over or under what other parts. A
better set of installation instructions is definitely needed here.

I ended up calling their customer service 800 number. After about a
15-minute wait, I got ahold of a real live human bean, who was able to
answer my question--but only after consulting with other people there
and opening a package of the same item I was using. In other words, he
didn't seem all that familiar with actually installing the product.

So it's in, and it's working. But I can't say I'm altogether happy
with the stuff. In particular, the open seams left in various
parts--between channel and elbows, and in the elbows themselves--don't
look all the pretty or finished. Which is probably inevitable when you
install the stuff in an old house that has corners that no longer meet
at 90°. I ended up using some of the little covers in the "accessory
pack" I bought to cover the worst of the openings.

And, like most other things, even though it seems like a no-brainer to
a DIYer for small projects, there are numerous tricks to using it that
would make an experienced installer's work much better than a
first-timer.

How about an instruction video. It's about installing a ceiling fan, but
the installation is basically the same.
Not the Wiremold products. The ends are butted together and a a fitting
cover installed over the joint to hide the edges. The OP probably didn't
buy the covers.
http://www.wiremold.com/diy/products...=Metal_Raceway

--

Bill