Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Default loose electrical oulets

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
I moved to a new place a couple months ago (a rental). Whenever I try to
plug something in the wall, the plug is loose and I have to bend the
prongs to keep it in or it'll fall out.

Is there a better fix for this or just something I'll have to live
with...bending the prongs on all my cords.

*The receptacles need to be replaced. With a loose connection like that
and a significant continuous load such as a heater plugged in, the
receptacle and the plug will get very hot. Under the right conditions a
fire could start. I'd discuss it with the landlord. He/she may be the
type who will fix it right away or he/she may think it is not worth
spending the money.

Absolutely right. Your loose plugs are a fire hazard no matter what is
plugged into them. Loose connections spark and arc and that can make for
lots of heat fast. The landlord should replace them. If not, a call to the
fire department asking for an inspection because you're concerned should
start things rolling.

The National Electrical Code calls for special "arc fault" circuit breakers
to be installed on outlets in new construction to sense just the problems
that you're likely to have -- or are already having.

TKM