Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default zero clearance insert

-MIKE- wrote:
Got some insert blanks for the new table saw. They are made out of
UHMW. I have a WWII blade and I'm wondering how much running the
blade through this UHMW will it dull the blade.

It's probably the "friendliest" stuff that blade will ever cut.

Don't want to do it if it means the blade will have to be
sharpened
sooner. I just got this blade a couple of weeks ago.

The blade will dull slightly with every cut no matter what, but
you'll never notice it with UHMWPE.

Have fun chasing the sawdust. :-)

Just FYI...
From http://www.plasticsintl.com
"Care should be taken to keep tools sharp because UHMW-PE can
rapidly
dull tool cutting edges,..."

If that is on the site you linked, please provide the navigation
because you link gets to a home page with no obvious link and
searching the site on "dull tool cutting" doesn't find a hit.
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)