Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wiremold: a review

On Jan 22, 3:29*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just finished a small job using Wiremold and thought I'd share my
experiences with it.

The last time I used the stuff was a long time ago. I was asked to add a
couple of outlets in a bedroom in an old house that had only one. Seemed
simple enough.

Installation was easy, sort of. But even in such a relatively simple job
there are pitfalls. The main culprit here was the instructions on using
the stuff, or the lack thereof. What was especially unclear was what
parts were supposed to go over or under what other parts. A better set
of installation instructions is definitely needed here.

I ended up calling their customer service 800 number. After about a
15-minute wait, I got ahold of a real live human bean, who was able to
answer my question--but only after consulting with other people there
and opening a package of the same item I was using. In other words, he
didn't seem all that familiar with actually installing the product.

So it's in, and it's working. But I can't say I'm altogether happy with
the stuff. In particular, the open seams left in various parts--between
channel and elbows, and in the elbows themselves--don't look all the
pretty or finished. Which is probably inevitable when you install the
stuff in an old house that has corners that no longer meet at 90°. I
ended up using some of the little covers in the "accessory pack" I
bought to cover the worst of the openings.

And, like most other things, even though it seems like a no-brainer to a
DIYer for small projects, there are numerous tricks to using it that
would make an experienced installer's work much better than a first-timer..

--
* "I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

Where did you buy your WireMold supplies?

I went to the orange borg to see what they had. Limited supply of
parts, mostly white, although I think I could complete my small
project with what they had *if* I wanted white. Since I want beige, I
was out of luck. Very limited supply, haphazard assortment, shelf
labels (or lack thereof) seem to indicate that they don't even carry
many of the parts in beige that they carry in white.

Tried the blue borg.

They don't carry WireMold, they carry a similiar product called
CableHider. Unfortunately, their selection (in both white and beige)
was even more limited than the orange borg.