Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can you believe it -- aluminum unavailable in NZL!

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that xjet
wrote on Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:41:54 -0800
(PST) in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Jan 21, 9:32*pm, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:48:56 -0800 (PST), xjet
apple aluminium in brisbane carry the grade in 1.6mm.
you should have become part of australia years ago and made it all
simpler. :-)

Stealth Pilot

Unfortunately, the Tasman Sea is just about the most expensive piece
of water (on a per-Km basis) in the world from a freight perspective :-(

It's just not economic to import a single sheet or two :-(

And they're supposedly trying to create a knowledge-economy here in
NZ. How can they do that when we can't get the raw materials needed
for prototyping and development?

Warning: idiots at the helm

It is amazing how often the "knowledge" or "Service" based economy
requires material goods to function. Real computers have to sit on
real desks before the "virtual store" can open. Even CGI geeks have
to sit in real chairs at real desk in order to create virtual worlds.

The same goes for the Service industry - someone has to make the
real things which are used in providing services.

A society which accepts shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity while tolerating shoddiness in plumbing because it is
not, is in serious trouble. Neither its theories nor its pipes will
hold water.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich