Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Windmills and energy input

Ed Huntress wrote:

"john" wrote in message

Eh, I don't fish that far south, anyway. Those turbines, I see, are going
to be sited 16 - 20 miles offshore and it's pretty deep out there. I
haven't seen what the fishermen's associations have said about it but I
doubt if there will any objections. I think the Hudson Canyon runs much
farther offshore down around Atlantic City, and that's where the big
action is.

--
Ed Huntress

Most people don't realize how many wrecks are off the NJ shore, including
a number of German subs. Some of the German subs even had s lot of silver
in their batteries. I think some of the wrecks are from WW 1.

When I was a little kid we'd take binoculars to the Jersey shore to look for
German sub periscopes. We didn't realize the war had been over for ten
years. d8-)

Hudson canyon from what I remember, runs into the Baltimore canyon.
I know it takes about 4 hours to reach the Hudson canyon when we went
there to fish for tuna. I think they want to put the windmils out of
sight of land which would be about 15 miles. The canyon is about 100 miles
out. It is much closer to the south shore of Long Island.

I should have said Baltimore Canyon. I think they start to fish around 30
miles out there, but that may just be for bonito. I suspect tuna are farther
out.

We used to fish the Hudson Canyon up here in north Jersey, but that was an
overnight trip and you really have to be into it. My uncle's boat (42') was
designed and built specifically for canyon fishing. I'm glad I didn't have
to pull the 1,200 feet of anchor line. g

--
Ed Huntress

They pull up miles of lobster traps out there on a continious line with
a bouy marking the ends, at 1200 ft. depth now thats a rough job. I
did the overnight tuna trip three or four times, and after its over I
still have a three hour drive home. IT sort of takes a lot of the fun
out of it. While I had my boat on the shore the fishing was real bad. It
got a lot better after I sold it.

John