Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Electric Water Heater Energy Usage labels

On Jan 21, 10:47*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
AlaJoe wrote:
* *I have a 50 Gallon electric water heater that is just not getting
the job done. One person can shower as long as he wants but the
recovery time is just too long between users and My wife, My kid and
,myself are trying to take showers within one hour and it just will
not keep up. So I am looking to either add an additional water heater
and split off one bathroom or increase the size of the one. My
* *question is about energy usage. I have looked at 30-80 gallon
heaters and there does not appear to be much difference in energy usage..
The 30 Gallons heater have an annual
energy estimate of about $405 to $410 and 80 gallon heaters about
$440 to $450. Does this mean if *I add a 30 gallon water heater in
addition to the 50 gallon I already have to seperate one bathroom I
will spend about $820 to $850 a year to keep 80 gallons of water
heated to where I could buy just one 80 gallon and only spend about
* *$450? Would one 80 gallon allow three people to take back to back
showers? Which set up would work best?

A low-flow shower head uses, on average, FOUR gallons of water per shower..
Assuming that's half-hot, half-cold, your 50 gallon water heater should be
sufficient for 25 back-to-back showers!

I suspect that whatever it is that's amiss, it's not the capacity of your
water heater. You may be trying to solve the wrong problem.- Hide quoted text -

Low flow is 1.6, 4gpm is full flow