Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Ugly brick fireplace and a limited budget

On Jan 21, 11:57*am, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
So, I have an ugly brick fireplace that I'd like to "enhance":

http://www.malch.com/nikon/DSD_2769.jpg

Sadly, the budget is very limited. So, I'm thinking in terms
of a granite (or similar) tile.

I understand it is feasible to tile over the brick. However,
my gut feel suggests it would be better to remove the bricks
first, install a new cementboard backer, and tile over that.

I would maybe add a ready made (wood) shelf mantel.

Any thoughts on those approaches? Other suggestions welcome.

I'm also a little nervous about running into a whole slew
of (expensive) code issues (I'm in CA). Is that likely to
derail the whole project?

| Malcolm Hoar * * * * * "The more I practice, the luckier I get". |
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Gary Player. |
|http://www.malch.com/* * * * * * * Shpx gur PQN. * * * * * * * *|

I tiled over mine that was similar to what you have. I didn't have
the raised hearth to deal with but you could tile that as well or wrap
edges with wood of your choice. Of course check the code but I doubt
it would be an issue because you would be adding the would to the
outside edges of the hearth and not reducing the non-flammable area.

They way I attached my tile to the face of the brick was with good old
Liquid Nails.
Ran a good thick bead on the back of each tile
Pressed in place then pulled it off
put back in place and let go

Not a one has even thought about coming loose. I used tiles with
straight edges and didn't bother leaving a grout space, just butted
them together. Nothing that is going to win me a design award but way
better than most of the crap you see on HGTV.

Disclaimer: I have only used my fireplace once since I 'glued' on the
tiles a year ago but I doubt the minimal heat is going to affect
Liquid Nails if you use yours regularly. If it does then mix up some
mortar and slap them back up.

Cheap & easy way to cover up some ugly brick.