Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default My New Year's resolution: don't use drywall screws

In article ,
1D10T wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
... for anything except hanging drywall.*

It's really irritating to see how just about every screw I see driven into
the various houses I work on seem to be those damned ubiquitous drywall
screws. Doesn't matter whether it's a shelf bracket, a piece of trim or an
electrical fixture. Sure, they're cheap and easy to drive and everyone has
bagsfull of them, but you know what? They ain't the right fastener for
about 75% of the things they're used for.

Thing is, they're made of hardened steel, which you'd think would make
them better. This does make them easier to drive into wood without
drilling a pilot hole first (gee whiz, who has time for *that*?). But the
problem is that means they're much more brittle than ordinary wood (or
sheet-metal) screws of the same size, which means they're much more likely
to fail under stress. (Anyone who's ever snapped off the head of one of
them because of overtightening knows this.)

So I'm going to start stocking up on a bunch of sizes of wood screws and
start using them. Next, I might tackle that problem: I read, some time ago
in /Fine Woodworking/, I think, that the best screws to use in wood are
actually ... sheet-metal screws, which have bigger threads in relation to
screw size that hold better in wood. Have to do some research on that.

* Exceptions for other applications which this type of screw is made for,
such as fastening deck boards, etc.

I'll take a pass on giving my opinion, but will say that I toss EVERY
slotted-head screw I see or find. I would defy anyone finding ONE on my
premises!

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with slot-headed screws -- the kind
you use a plain old "blade" screwdriver for.

Thanks!

David