Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Adding another antenna to my existing antenna set-up

On Jan 20, 11:10 am, Mike
wrote:
The short question in all this is - can I run
coax from
2 different antennas into a splitter, then from
the
splitter to my TV, and get signals from both
antennas?

They're often called splitter-combiners, and
there's a
reason for that.

Inside that mystery box is nothing more than 3,
5, or 7
wires connected together. The shell of the
splitter-combiner serves to connect the outer
shielding
of the coax cable, and the center pins are
connected
through these wires.

Most splitters, excepting the cheapie junker
ripoffss will at least have resistors between the
internal points such that no matter which port you
measure, you will see the same
resistance/impedance. That way the maximum power
transfer can be maintained. If it were just wire,
the impedance of the wires would be seriously
mismatched, and there would be almost no power
transfer to the TV set, meaning very little
signal. It's the impedance matching to the cables
that makes splitters work. Each splitter results
in about 3 dB (half power, or half the watts) out
compared to what goes in; that's the max power
transfer point.