Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default What does code say about this

I can't get any help from the code office. They want a drawing but won't
give me the info to do it right. Well, to be honest here's the complete
story.
Three years ago we erected a double wide for a cabin. I was informed
that I needed a rudimentary porch on the front (we seldom use it) but that
it wasn't high enough to require a railing. I believe that the thing is
only 4'x4' and 28" high. I would like to make the deck wider (left to
right, not front to back) since it's a bit dangerous getting in the door. I
would like to cantilever a new set of joists from the 4x4 to the left and
right and then, add a railing. How much can I cantilever these joists? Is
there any other consideration?
As always, TIA!
Chuck