Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Running Electrical wire in shed

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2009-01-21, benick wrote:

That is probably the case Wayne because I have NEVER seen MC/AC Cable in
ANY unfinished sheds or garages here in Maine

More likely, I think, is that nobody enforces that section. It was
changed in one of the 90's NEC versions, I think; previously Romex had
been prohibited in buildings above a certain height. The wire lobby
got that lifted in exchange for the coverage requirement.

Right idea but wrong lobby. I looked back at information from the code
change (ROP and ROC).

There was a task group that looked at the change (allow Romex in
buildings above 3 floors), but it didn't have enough votes to bring a
proposal to the code making panel.

Multiple proposals were brought to the code making panel for the 2002
NEC by the National Multi-Housing Council. (There were proposals from
some others including Massachusetts.) This was a major effort to change
the code, probably aimed primarily at housing costs. The code making
panel (which included a representative from the National Multi-Housing
Council) rejected the changes (for good or bad reasons). So did the NFPA
annual member meeting. The change was forced through by 'extraordinary'
methods.

Apparently manufacturers have never argued for the change. The the NEMA
Building Wire Technical Committee unanimously voted to oppose the change.

The change allows Romex to be used in residential structures over 3
floors - the major change that was pushed.
It also allowed Romex to be used in 'other' structures (like commercial)
over 3 floors but added the 15 minute wall rating. This wall rating did
not previously exist for 'other' structures less than 3 floors.

Since the change, the code making panel has (understandably) refused to
make changes (such as exempt garages).

So
inspectors were used to uncovered Romex in residential garages and
never started enforcing the change.

I doubt you will find many inspectors that think a 15 minute wall rating
is useful in a garage or shed. I suspect most inspectors will ignore the
restriction, just as they modify other code that can result in
unreasonable requirements in a particular instance.

Does that apply to attached garages as well

No, a "dwelling" is a building with a "dwelling unit", so your
attached garage is still part of a dwelling.

But a detached garage is a commercial space? Industrial? It is really
difficult to write any code that applies to 'every thing'. That is one
reason the NEC changes every 3 years. And why the AHJ is given final
authority.

--
bud--