Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Ugly brick fireplace and a limited budget

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote

So, I have an ugly brick fireplace that I'd like to "enhance":

http://www.malch.com/nikon/DSD_2769.jpg

Sadly, the budget is very limited. So, I'm thinking in terms
of a granite (or similar) tile.

I would maybe add a ready made (wood) shelf mantel.

I'd get a mantle with sides down to the floor (looks like you have about 4
inches there?). This would be flush to the sides but not over the brick
(check code, your sides are quite minimal as it is).

Then probably tile the bottom part where the base extends, since that's the
main 'bad' there. Also, the base isnt very high. Not sure on code specs
where you are but I've not seen any that low here.

I wouldnt paint it if you plan to ever use it.