Posted to alt.home.repair
rocketman rocketman is offline

Default Furnace burners won't ignite

On Jan 21, 8:13*am, Ken wrote:
rocketman wrote:
I have an Amana GHN90A50 furnace (circa 1987) that has an ignition
problem: I will occasionally notice the house is cold, with the temp
well below the setting on the thermostat. *When I check the furnace,
the blower is running, the ignitor is glowing but no ignition. *If I
then set the thermostat lower than the room temp, the blower and
ignitor shut off. *I wait a few seconds (which I guess allows the
furnace to reset) and raise the temp on the thermostat. *Then
everything is fine: the blower and ignitor come on and the burners
ignite.

I have a suspicion that this only happens (and then, only
occasionally) when we set the thermostat low for the night (60 or 61
degrees) but I have not tested this theory. *Strangely, our tenants in
a house we rent had the same problem with a new furnace we installed
there a year ago; they set it low (maybe 55 degrees) because they were
out for a few days and found that the furnace didn't ignite.

Any suggestions?

* * * * I do not know what tools you have or what your capabilities are, but I
would hang a volt meter across the valve coil terminals to see if the
24v AC is being applied when heat was being called for. *That will tell
you much about your problem.

The furnace is running right now and I just checked the coil: yes,
it's got 24v across it (obviously, since it's working).
The next time the furnace won't light I'll re-check the coil. So
let's say it has no or low voltage then, what's the likely culprit?