Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:27:28 -0600, Andy Asberry
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:02:47 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Yes, I have a lot of respect for the
pilot, as well. And I still say that any captain with the majors and
tens of thousands of hours in his logbook might well have done the same
thing, and done it well. He did a hell of fine job, but it wasn't the
one-in-a-million miracle that some people insist on believing.

Let's see, 30:1 at 3250 AGL works out to a theoretical maximum glide of
over 18 miles.
I don't believe he would have 30:1 at climb speed.

Airspeed is adjusted with the elevators, so no surprise that the pilot
did the 180 with minimal airspeed in order to preserve altitude. A 180
turn uses up quite a bit of it.
Depends on the rate of turn.

At the speed he was "gliding" significantly less than 20:1 according
to my pilot friend.

How does your friend happen to know the speed the pilot chose?

Chose?? With no power how does he choose?

Lou