Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beeswax ?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:

From my own experience, IMHO, there is no question in terms of end
product that beeswax polish will produce a better protection and
finish than Mr Sheen

But you are talking about three different applications here. Surface
finish, surface protection & surface maintenance.

Beeswax may well provide a pleasant finish, but it gives a very poor level
of surface protection compared to a modern varnish or laquer. Try putting a
hot cup of tea on a table with a wax finish.

Well after my wife ironed off the modern varnish on a table where the
candle wax had ruined it, I prefer the old beeswax and french polish.

Every time she ruins that with watery coffee cups, I simply rub it hard
with methylated spirits, and then add beeswax, and its perfect again.

Mr Sheen is a maintenance product, not a final finish. Beeswax is
unsuitable for a quick wipe over to remove dust & isnt multi surface.

exactly. Mr sheen simply is a dust grabber/mild solvent for a modern
hard finish.

For trad, you need to use a wax. or if its shellac underneath, repair
with ethyl alcohol (yes, I have used gin)