Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Your rights

Huge wrote:
On 2009-01-20, Appin wrote:
The message
from PeterC contains these words:

Site it carefully - if some one trips over it or knocks against it you
could be sued. ISTR an unofficial sign being hit by a vehicle that was
swerving off the road and the 'driver' trying it on!
Apart from the obvious authorities, only AA, RAC and CTC have a 'right' to
erect road signs (and I suspect that doesn't include 'public'-type ones).

If it's indistinguishable from the official version and it appears
quietly one dark night it's likely to be a very considerable time before
bureaucracy tumbles to the fact that it hasn't been placed there by
"some other department."

Especially given that (i) there appear to be about 5 or 6 different
"departments" involved and (ii) it's been over 3 years since the
correspondence started, so they're not exactly speedy.

The problem is apparently that the road we live on is called Wibble
Road at one end and Quux Lane at the other, and no-one seems to know
where they change over. My wife's suggestion was to signpost the
road "Wibble Road leading to Quux Lane" at one end and "Quux Lane
leading to Wibble Road" at the other, and not worry about where the
changeover is, but this brilliant solution seems to be beyond the
comprehension of local Government.

I too live on a road which changes name, apparently arbitrarily, halfway
along it. Causes no end of confusion as people simply do not expect it.
Also, house numbering suffers a sudden dislocation.

--
Rod

onset.