Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default windshield wiper misses glass for the middle ~3 inches.

David Combs wrote:
My lifelong problem with windshield-wipers is that, being 6'3",
while driving a car, my eyes's sightline to the road has always
gone through the windwhield *precisely halfway between* those two
supports that push the rubber "blade" against the windshield.

So, where *I* most comfortably look through the winshield is
where the wiper is guaranteed
to push lightly (if at all!) against the glass -- the rain/snow/ice/dirt/roadScum-hit glass.

Thus leaving a 3-inch band ("annulus") the windshield has any (if any)
effect on.

So, my first question:

Is there a windshield-wiper manufacturer who make ones that have not
two, but three, supports directly pushing the actual blade against
the glass?

And my second: how about ones made for really difficult weather,
eg northern canada or alaska, with lots of ice, freezing-rain, etc?

----- just for fun:

What about these huge semi-trucks -- drive all night in that kind of
weather, what kind of wipers do they have.

Or airplanes?

Or navy destroyers?

Thanks!

David

Wipers seem to have become real junk quality. The reality is you just
have to keep replacing them frequently. I put silicone blades on one
vehicle and I haven't changed them for at least a year and they seem to
be lasting like blades used to. They are 3x the cost of the others so I
don't know if it makes economic sense to use them.